From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-17 21:53:59

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:09:19 -0500, Beman Dawes wrote

> You've already given examples of "perfectly good code" that gets
> flagged with that warning. I'd say that makes the shadow warning a
> non-starter for Boost.

I don't think it's that easy to discount -Wshadow. The following is perfectly
legal code, but probably not what you were trying to do. -Wshadow points out
a very hard to find bug immediately.

void foo(int& bar)
{
  if (bar > 10) {
    int bar = 20; //oops didn't mean to declare a local here...
  }
}

Obviously this issue goes way beyond -Wshadow. I've recently spent some time
cleaning up issues in date-time with Level 4 warnings for VC. I have yet to
see a level 4 warning from VC that prevented a bug in my code, but I spent the
time because I respect that users want to compile with warning levels cranked up.

Jeff