From: David Bakin (d.bakin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-18 03:44:00

And composition: being able to build a RE from separately specified REs in
a modular fashion. And abstraction too: passing parameters into an RE
(e.g., once you write your balanced-delimiter RE you should be able to pass
in the front-delimiter (e.g. "[") and back-delimiter ("]").

Frankly, I think it is time to stop calling them regular expressions, which
have a definite "computer science" meaning (only operators concatenate,
alternate, and kleene star over a fixed alphabet). But this is a battle I
will not fight since the outcome is obvious.

-- Dave