From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-19 07:48:45

At 05:50 AM 11/18/2003, Markus Werle wrote:

>David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> I guess that's their problem, since AFAICT we're unable to properly
>> detect all the conditions which say whether wchar_t is supported.
>
>Though I appreciate any effort to create a new, modern and
>reliable build system I strongly disagree here.
>
>A build system that has no autoconfiguration property like
>GNU-autoconf/-make/-header kicks us right back to the
>middle-age where we fiddled around with imakefiles and
>other design problems that hinder plug'n'play.
>
>If I decide to have this or that flag on, I expect
>no library in use to bail out, but to build smoothly.

That's a nice sentiment, but how do you propose Boost config (or any other
configuration system) could reliably detect wchar_t status for the Intel
compiler?

It isn't good enough to pre-analyze the compiler via a trial compilation,
because compiler options may have changed when the real compilation is run.

--Beman