From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-19 15:54:59

[2003-11-19] David Abrahams wrote:

>Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> I know, from experience with my own project, where that slowness comes
from.
>> A very large portion of the "startup" slowness comes from the numerous
>> memory allocations bjam does. The reason it does is because of the way it
>> allocates once only read only strings, and we allocate many, many
strings. I
>> tried making the strings garbage collect once, but only succeded in
getting
>> crashes from using deallocated memory :-(
>
>We maybe oughta try throwing the Boehm collector at it. But remember
>that it also interns all strings, so any strings that are duplicated
>get shared. I'm not sure how that would balance out.

Hmm, it might be worth trying out. bjam already tries to implement a fairly
bad garbage collector... bad enough that the freeing collection part of it
is disabled ;-) So at minimum it just reuses equal strings.

-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera (at) acm.org - grafik (at) redshift-software.com
-- 102708583 (at) icq