From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-20 07:55:25

> I finally finished, yes it took a while but it's been busy, a "Getting
> Started" document to guide users in building and installing Boost with the
> new system. The document is in CVS as boost-root/more/getting_started.html
>
> Comments are welcome.

Nice work, comments follow:

change: and on Windows systems the default is "C:\\Boost"
to: and on Windows systems the default is "C:\Boost"

change: Within those libraries are installed
to: Within those directories libraries are installed

After: bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc" install
It may be worth while adding a section something like:

Alternatively, if you just want the libraries collected together in a common
sub-directory, but not actually installed then use something like:

bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc" stage

Re the use of "stage": the term still means nothing to me (even after
someone explained it's antecedence), I still think "binaries" would be a
better term (for the target name that is), or failing that "collect" or even
"libraries". In any case the sentence:

Builds the Boost libraries and "stages" them into a "stage" directory.

Would read better as:

Builds the Boost libraries and copies them into a common directory (by
default this is boost-root/stage/lib).

There's more to come, but I notice that headers are installed into a version
specific directory - how would an autoconf script (for example) handle that?

John.