From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-22 14:51:52

John Maddock wrote:

> Rene, some more comments for you:
>
> In the supported toolsets table, can you make the entries for msvc and
> msvc-stlport clear that these are for vc6, and that the user should use the
> vc7/vc7.1 toolsets for the later compilers (otherwise the libraries get
> named in such a way that auto-linking doesn't work). We should probably add
> vc7-stlport and vc7.1-stlport toolsets as well (these are pretty much
> trivial to do, I can provide these if that would help).

Yes, please provide them :-)

> In build and install section the c:\\boost needs the extra \ removing again.
>
> We need some documentation on the BUILD environment variable. I think I
> would also support setting defaulting the build options (in the top level
> Jamfile) to "release debug <runtime-link>static/dynamic
> <threading>multi/single" on windows and leaving the current "release debug
> <threading>multi/single" setting for Unix only, if that makes sense.

I've now made the default on Windows to build both static and dynamic runtime
variants.

> Finally a question for you - does the install step on windows place the
> dll's in the system path?

No. And it would be kind of rude to do it IMHO, as putting things in the
system directories is not a good idea. But since they are installed into a
common location it's easy enough for the user to add the path once
(c:\boost\lib) and it will work for all versions.

PS. I'm still working on the rest of the comments about the docs.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera_at_[hidden] - grafik_at_[hidden] - 102708583_at_icq