From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-26 14:39:06

Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:

> At 08:42 AM 11/26/2003, David Abrahams wrote:
>
> >BTW, we have lots of libraries you can use to eliminate portability
> >hacks in your own code. For example, I have way fewer platform
> >headaches now that I use the MPL for all my metaprogramming jobs. I
> >daresay that between MPL, type traits, and possibly Fusion you could
> >make writing an expression template library seem easy.
>
> Dave,
>
> What about Markus' original query? Is
> boost-root\more\int_const_guidelines.htm in need of an update?

I'm not an expert in Borland bugs, so you probably shouldn't be
asking me. Borland is the compiler with the worst integral constant
handling I've ever seen, except possibly SunPro. But I guess it's
reasonable to assert that some mention of MPL is missing. I would
add, at the top, something like:

     By far the easiest way to avoid portability problems with
     integral constants is to use the MPL's integral constant wrapper
     types and its arithmetic and logical metafunctions <link to
     not-yet-existent docs here>. If you really feel the need to work
     against the bare metal, here are some tips...

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting