From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-28 21:06:37

On 11/27/03 6:09 PM, "Joel de Guzman" <joel_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Daryle Walker <darylew_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>>> All of the operator helpers need the final type to provide a core routine.
>>> AFAIK, Peter's idiom is to use a pointer-to-member(-function) as the core
>>> Boolean routine; it can't be provided by a library.
>>
>> What am I missing?

That you two (Dave and Joel) are trying to break the letter of my message,
but are still conforming to its spirit.

Dave helped write the operator-helpers library, so he should know what I'm
talking about. I guess my wording isn't accurate.

All the operator helpers provide some extra operators. These extra
operators are defined in terms of other operators. These "other" operators
are the "core routines" I am referring to.

For example, the helper for "operator /" needs the author of the final class
to provide an "operator /=". Here, "operator /" is the extra operator and
"operator /=" is the core routine. Helper classes can't be used for all the
operators, because the core routines that the operators call must come from
the author.

>> template <class T>
>> struct bool_testable
>> {
>> private:
>> struct impl { int x; };
>> typedef int impl::*safe_bool;
>> public:
>> operator safe_bool() const
>> {
>> return !*static_cast<T const*>(this) ? 0 : &impl::x;
>> }
>> };

As far as "Peter's idiom" is concerned, I meant that the author has to
provide the "operator SomeBuiltInSingularType" for the core Boolean
conversion routine, and a helper class can provide the related operators
like "operator !". All you did was switch the core and derived routines!
Either way, one Boolean-related routine has to be provided by the author.

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie