From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard (jbms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-29 20:18:36

Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:

> At 02:52 PM 11/28/2003, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
>> The filesystem library seems to treat CYGWIN as a "Windows" platform
>> rather than a POSIX platform. It seems this is incorrect behavior.

> Hum... I'm not sure I understand your concern. We still want Windows behavior
> like "c:/foo" being considered a valid native path, even though the compile
> happened to be gcc/cygwin.

> Or are you saying that there is some use case on Windows, such as when running
> under bash, where you wouldn't want "c:/foo" to be considered a valid native
> path?

I suppose it is partially a matter of user preferences. My impression
though was that one of the purposes of cygwin is to provide some amount
of POSIX support, and that c: can by accessed at /cygdrive/c, for example.

With Windows paths, calling "complete" on a cygwin path like
"/cygdrive/c" will bring unexpected results.

It seems though that at least some Windows users use cygwin for
development purposes primarily for a better shell, rather than for
POSIX support, and thus expect to use standard Windows paths.

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard