From: Howard Hinnant (hinnant_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-03 13:41:39

On Dec 3, 2003, at 12:37 PM, AlisdairM wrote:

>> dimension<decltype(var)>::value;
>>
>> Too clumsy?
>
> Certainly until decltype is added to the language ;¬ )

Understood! :-) decltype is just around the corner though (imho, and
from a practical standpoint), if not already here. __typeof__
currently works for this purpose on both gcc and Metrowerks. And rumor
has it decltype (or at least __decltype__) isn't far behind.

> Although to be honest I'd like *both* versions. I can't see a good
> reason
> to throw the convenience away.

<nod> I believe we'd need to call the versions by different names.
Walter Brown has suggested "extent" for the compile-time version of
dimension.

-Howard