From: mark_2811_at_[hidden]
Date: 2003-12-16 01:17:28

Hi, I'm new to Boost and am interested in what some of the libraries can do to improve my programs. Part of my program involves an Active Object that takes calls to methods made in one thread and executes them in another. The typical way I've done this in the past is to use the Command pattern to write commands onto a message queue that the other thread remove from the queue and execute. I'm wondering if boost::function can be used to accomplish the same thing with less code to write since the Command pattern requires one class for each method that is called. Is this a common use for boost::function? I'd assume that arguments must be bound using boost::bind? Pretty much all of my methods will have arguments that will need to be bound when the method is initially called. From my initial read of the documentation it seems that the bind library has some limitations (call by reference only) so I'm not sure of it's usefulness in this scenario?

Any suggestions/tips are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com