From: Michael Glassford (glassfordm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-17 10:07:44

Roland wrote:
>> If it worked out (and I can see reasons, technical and
>> otherwise, why it might not), this would allow a statically linked
>> version without removing any features.
>
> I intended my example as a starting point for discussion. I know that
> there
> are some things that will need more consideration. Robustness of
> temporary
> file path, possible race conditions, (or speed?) to name a few that
> come to mind. Also issues of putting the stub file compilation into
> bjam build is not yet obvious to me.
>
> I am very interested in your reasons,

The main technical reason in addition to the ones you mention is that, with
security settings continually tightening, I can imagine problems in the
future with writing code into a file and executing it (which might be
interpreted as virus-like behavior by virus protection programs, for
instance). I'd have to look at the code in more detail than I have so far to
see if this is a real problem.

The main non-technical reason is that I can imagine people might be leery of
accepting such a solution into Boost. Until they do (or don't), there's no
way of knowing if this is a real problem.

I do think the idea is intriguing and will, as I said, look into it when I
can get to it.

Mike