From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-19 17:26:46

I've recently updated my local CVS from the development
tree. If I try to compile the following file with gcc 3.2

// file start
#include <boost/spirit/core.hpp>
#include <boost/spirit/utility.hpp>
// file end

I get

In file included from C:/boost-dev/boost/spirit/utility/support/flush_multi_pass.hpp:14,
                 from C:/boost-dev/boost/spirit/utility.hpp:37,
                 from c:/boost-dev/libs/serialization/test/test_zmisc.cpp:3:
C:/boost-dev/boost/spirit/iterator/multi_pass.hpp:12: parse error before `<<'
   token

[snip]

which makes me wonder whether spirt 1.8x is ready to be included in the
release version of boost.

In fact, now I'm a little queasy about the whole release process. If I recall correctly,
the next release was planned for some time ago ( around 1 November?) but things
kept getting pushed back "to include the latest changes in library <your library here>"

I would prefer

a) the developement tree contain code known to work on the library maintainers
system
b) no broken experimental features
b) complete and believed to be correct documentation

That is, libraries would be ready except perhaps any pending issues related to portability to platforms
not available to the library maintainer. If only focused on issues of portability - the
whole painful process might be reduced to a reasonable time - say two weeks?

Maybe there should be three trees - sandbox, development, and release candidate.

anyway, my 2 cents.

Robert Ramey