From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-21 19:52:29

Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:

> The main complaint I have with MPL is that as far as I'm concerned
> the manual is not complete.

That's not just your opinion - it's a fact. Aleksey has been ekeing
out pages for a new manual in the rare free gaps in his very hectic
professional life. The book's going to contain a copy of the complete
manual (the manual will also be in the Boost CVS), so that puts some
kind of limit on how long this no-manual state can drag on.

> I find myself having to search through the source code to find
> things that I need because they are not in the manual. Also it
> seems that parts are un-intuitve and require twising my brain to
> understand, E.G. if_ and apply_if don't seem to quite substituteable

Well, they're not intended to be semantically identical to
one-another, if that's what you mean by "substituteable". If you
need some explanation, please ask.

> - I suppose the problem is that meta-programming is just an extra
> level of abstraction which makes it harder to understand.

Maybe.

> This would make an improved manual even more useful.

Sorry, I don't understand that.

> To use MPL, you will have to sort of stop progress on your main interest
> and invest time in it. I understand that that's frustrating - but take it
> from one who's been there it will payoff. It will also get you prepared
> to deal with jamfiles

I don't see how MPL will help you with jam.

> - if you make it that far - which is nothing short of shear torture.

If you found it to be difficult it would help a lot for you to post
something about your experiences on the jamboost list.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting