From: Eric Ford (un5o6n902_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-23 03:53:56

    * What is your evaluation of the design?

The general design seems fine. A few concerns...

1. What about the case of converting an integral type to a floating point when the integral type has a wider range than the floating type?

2. What is gained by the assumption that UDTs have a wider range than bulitin types? I think there should be a way to overide this assumption.

3. Is it wise to assume that the lowest() = -numerical_limits<T>::max()? Does someone know if IEEE requires this to be the case? I wonder if special values might cause this to be a bad assumption.

4. I would think that smallest() should return 1 and not 0 for integral types. Otherwise, smallest() has a different meaning for integral and floating point types. And that's exactly what lowest() and highest() were meant to prevent.

    * What is your evaluation of the implementation?

I only quickly browsed the implementation, but from what I saw, it seemed to be reasonabely well done.

    * What is your evaluation of the documentation?

1. definitions.html#stdtypes: last sentance: I disagree with the advice to use unsigned types for quantities which are positive definite. While I recognize the case for both sides of this argument, I see no reason to include this recommendation in the documentation.

2. requirements#req: Trunc<T> also requires that T(0) be defined

3. bounds.html#bounds: Typeo in heading

    * What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

lowest(), highest(), and smallest() will definitely get quite a bit of use.
The improved numeric_cast should also get a good bit of use, and is definitely worth having in boost.

    * Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have any problems?

Just the tests. No

    * How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick reading? In-depth study?

A few houurs

    * Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

I have practical experience in numerical computation, but little formal training in CS.

    * Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library? Be sure to say this explicitly so that your other comments don't obscure your overall opinion.

Yes.

Eric Ford

Protect yourself from spam,
use http://sneakemail.com