From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-02 14:10:02

"Pavel Vozenilek" <pavel_vozenilek_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Empty class in Borland C++ Builder has by default 8 bytes. These 8 bytes are
> not removed by EBO and only increase descendants size.
>
> boost::noncopyable is such class.

Oh my gosh, that's ridiculous!

> Could it be please changed to:
>
> --------------
> class noncopyable
> {
> #if (defined __BORLANDC__) && (__BORLANDC__ <= 0x564)
> char dummy; // BCB would use 8 bytes by default
> #endif
> protected:

Are you sure that's the right patch? Borland's ABI is unlikely to
change, ever. Should we be checking the version at all? Should we
also be checking to make sure that it's a Win32-targeted compiler?
What about, e.g. MSVC? Isn't Borland's ABI MSVC-compatible?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting