From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-03 10:43:29

"Dan W." <danw_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> perhaps for these types I would
> rather take Matthias Shabel's greater compilation complexity for the
> sake of better compile time memory efficiency.

The original point I was making on the Compile_time DA lib thread about
compile time, is that at some point it matters.
 The thread got so long that the original discussion which related to
compile time performance of
 Yanl2 ie Mathiass unoptimised demo was lost. Compile times of over a
minute were reported for Yanl2 examples on a reasonably modern system.
I didnt time it myself but when you have that sort of lag when making
modifications, it is very tiresome to live with.
Please do try writing a small app and waiting a minute on each compile. Or
try counting now... its a very very long time these days.

> And I also realize, just some subtle simplification in syntax might
> probably save programmers more time than a 1000-fold improvement in
> compilation speed, so maybe I was totally off track anyhow...

I agree absolutely... compile time AND 'look and feel'... Its all part of
the mix.

regards
Andy Little