From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-04 00:18:57

> David Abrahams wrote

>Can't de-serialization run out of memory as it dynamically allocates
>stored objects?

Of course it can.

I didn't really express myself very well. What I meant is
that de-serialization doesn't present any special issues as far
as exceptions are concerned. Even restoring a string
variable could throw a memory exception.

Now I'm intrigued with the memento archive adaptor
described in the previous post. This overloads pointer
serialization so that pointers are not re-created
but rather dereferenced and re-loaded. This would
mean no dynamic memory allocation. On the other
hand it raises a couple of tricky questions which
may or may not be issues.

Robert Ramey