From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-05 04:03:01

"Thorsten Ottosen" <nesotto_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> [...]
> This I don't get. With foo( T& ) I can call your function without
> creating a smart ptr. The other way around is not as general.
> So what would an interface that takes the smart pointer, and
> only a particular smart ptr, document (besides that it only takes
> a particular type of smart pointer)?

Well, I would want to take a pointer because the pointer could
be null. And I would want to take a smart pointer with shared
semantics, because that says foo() isn't responsible for cleaning
it up if something happens (or even if nothing happens). Don't
you use smart pointers that way?

> > [...]
> > LOL!
>
> Is it short for something ? :-)

Sorry, that's a chatcronym for "Laugh Out Loud".

> [...]
> And your upcomming smart pointer is not hardcoded in any way.
> [...]

Just to be clear, it's only "my" smart pointer in a somewhat trivial
way. In reality, it's mostly Loki::SmartPtr.

Dave

---