From: Michael Glassford (glassfordm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-05 14:07:26

Roland wrote:

> In principle everything boils down to the following question:
>
> How do I simultaneously wait for a condition _or_ a pending IO operation
> becoming notified/signalled.

I guess we've been talking at cross-purposes, then, since I obviously
didn't understand that this is what you were asking. Thanks for clarifying.

> Isn't this type of operation a very common one in multithreaded programs?
> (Especially on uniprocessors?) I cannot imagine that this is not possible
> using boost.threads.

I can see that it would be common in certain types of programs, though
not in others (I, for instance, haven't needed to do this yet).

> Perhaps there is a (portable) solution available using boost.threads which
> I am not aware of?

If there is, I'm not aware of it either.

> If this really is not possible, isn't there a need to provide such a feature?

Probably, but in order to be portable it would need to be carefully
designed. What would you envision it looking like?