From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-09 07:47:27

Joel de Guzman <joel_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I think we should start to discuss the possibility of having individual
> releases (as Spirit is doing right now) instead of one monolithic
> release.

Why? It seems impossible to manage when boost libraries depend on
other boost libraries. How will we test them when several libraries
are nearing release? And what is wrong with the current procedure,
which only just seems to have matured a few releases ago? Shouldn't
we give it a chance to work?

> I'm sure you are all starting to feel the weight. At some point, when boost
> assimilates more libraries, a monolithic release might take forever. This
> seems to go against the open source mantra "release early, release often".
> There will be issues, of course. Spirit is experiencing some of them now.
> For instance, which version of Spirit works with which version of Boost
> is a common question. Thoughts?

Mine are: avoid that problem by releasing as part of the boost
release. That's what branch-for-release is all about.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting