From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-09 08:19:23

> I have been playing about briefly attempting to use some of boost-1.30.2
> with Borlands' new compiler bccx 6.00 (__BORLANDC__ == 0x600). As some
> may know, this is an EDG based compiler (I think EDG 3.01) using
> DinkumWare for the STL (and possibly the RTL too).
>
> I have attached a new borland.hpp config header. Basically the only
> workaround I've needed so far has been BOOST_NO_VOID_RETURNS otherwise
> function fails to work with void. This header would probably be best
> re-structured by someone as I've basically #def'd out all the current
> work-arounds and added just the new one at the bottom.
>
> The other places I've found work-arounds need is because code only
> checks against __BORLANDC__ so workarounds are being introduced which
> aren't necessary for the new compiler. I haven't done this by find and
> replace, more by when errors have shown. I have changed code such as
> I'm really wondering who is able to tell whether these changes are good
> and if anyone is actually trying to get bccx working with boost at the
> moment (I know it has been mentioned briefly before).

Current cvs should work moderately well with that compiler - all the config
and type_traits and regex tests are passing for example - however a lot of
tests fail if you try and build them with debug info (internal compiler
errors), and there are some strange behaviours when in MSVC compatibility
mode (ADL doesn't work for example, and as you note the compiler pretends to
be VC6 which messes up all kinds of things). At some point we will need to
check all the __BORLANDC__ workarounds : but that's a big job, and at the
moment the compiler appears too unstable to use it to regularly regression
test against.

John.