From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-09 12:03:19

AlisdairM wrote:

a) the serialization library uses spirit
b) I want to be able to support old compilers.
c) I totally understand the position of the spirt people. Older compilers are
really starting to hold them up.

For what its worth here is how I addressed the situation for the serialization library

I define an enviroment variable SPIRIT_ROOT

I tweak the jamfile so that $(SPIRIT_ROOT) is in the include path before BOOST_ROOT.
If SPIRIT_ROOT is undefined - then only $(BOOT_ROOT) is used.

So if you have a conforming compiler - you're done

If you don't - download spirit to some directory ( out side of boost)
set SPIRIT_ROOT to the name of that directory
re-build.

its

a) totally painless
b) portable
c) forward looking - it doesn't require that boost explicitly address
the older compilers. boost can just assume its not a problem.

works well for me.

Robert Ramey