From: Russell Hind (rhind_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-21 08:00:35

John Maddock wrote:
>>There is another problem with release builds with Borland in filesystem
>>(won't compile). Original message below again.
>>
>>Another, easier fix as pointed out in the actual thread, is to remove
>>the std:: and put using namespace std; at the top of the file (it is a
>>.cpp, not a .h), then Borland and others will find strcmp.
>

> Thanks, for pointing that one out again - I can reproduce that from the IDE
> in release mode, but interestingly the release libs built from the bjam
> command line build OK, I'm not sure what the difference is here.

Could it be the optimisation settings? There is -Oi which is use
instrinsic functions for strcmp etc (i.e. compiler generated). I think
when this is on, the compiler generates the functions when it sees them,
but doesn't realise they should be in the std:: namespace. Debug builds
don't enable this.

(It may be implicitly enabled by another -O option such as -O2)

Just a guess.

Cheers

Russell