From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-22 03:16:48

"Jonathan Turkanis" <technews_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> [...]
> I hope I didn't hit a raw nerve. I haven't been following the
> development of smart_ptr; I was under the vague impression
> that it had bogged down in squabbling between developers.

I wish that were all! At least that's a solvable problem. ;>

> If by your remarks you mean that gcc 3.3.2 is the only compiler
> sophisticated enough to handle your code, I can't help. :(

Technically, other compilers are probably sophisticated enough,
but require some massaging of the code before they'll eat it.

> But if you're really looking for someone with other recent compilers
> willing to do some testing, I'd be happy to run tests with the
> following compilers
>
> Comeau 4.3.3 w/ VC7.1
> Intel 7.1, 8.0 for Windows
> Codewarrior 8.0

That would be fantastic! Just run the tests in the sandbox, and
email me the error messages. If I could get all the tests to pass
on 3 compilers, I'd consider that good enough to pass my
portability requirement.

> Borland 5.6.4 (I doubt it's much better than 5.5.1)

It's an embarrassingly insignificant upgrade to 5.5.1. I'd really like
to try out the preview compiler, but I haven't had the time to obtain
it.

Dave

P.S. If you can, make sure that when you build the tests, all
optimizations are turned on and EBO is enabled (if it's a switch
for the compiler). One of the tests is a sizeof (in fact, it's the first
test ;). Also, when you run the tests (*if* you get that far!), please
run them with --log_level=all, and include the output when you
send me a problem.

---