From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-23 16:37:54

"Gennadiy Rozental" <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> Another argument that the type traits tests shouldn't depend on the
>> test library: the test library depends on type traits. Circular
>> dependencies should be avoided. Every time I try to tweak is_class to
>> workaround a compiler bug and re-run the tests, the test library
>> recompiles too.
>
> What exactly depend on type traits?

I haven't spent the time to figure it out. Touch is_class.hpp and
then run the is_class test, and you'll see.

> Could you use minimal testing facility for the components Boost.Test
> depends on?

Maybe, but why would I want to?

> What is that wrong in this case in circular dependency
> (I do not advocate it is good)?

It causes lots of recompilation; that's really frustrating when the
test could be done just as well if not better at compile-time using
some kind of static assert.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting