From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-24 22:57:53

Daryle Walker wrote:

> Also, I wouldn't consider a list of characters to be equivalent to a pattern
> matcher, even if the latter is implemented in terms of the former. (Can a
> regex be defined by other ways than a string? Using "regex atom" objects
> composed together could cut out the mandatory parsing engine the string
> method requires.)

Indeed, such a regex engine already exists. It's called xpressive and
it lives in the boost sandbox. It's under active development.

FWIW, I also agree that the Boost.Regex constructor should remain
explicit. IMO, a regex is not a string, and a string is not a regex. A
string is merely one (admittedly handy) way of initializing a regex.

--
Eric Niebler
Boost Consulting