From: Guillaume Melquiond (guillaume.melquiond_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-26 15:19:25

Hi,

There was a recent change to the config/compiler/intel.hpp file in order
to change (one more time) the way the detection of wchar_t works. I'm
not a user of wchar_t, so I'm not interested in these changes. However,
after updating my CVS repository, the Intel compiler (Linux platform)
complained whenever I tried to use a Boost library. Indeed, there was a
typo in the Config part of Boost.

So I've committed a trivial fix to CVS head. However it was a bit
annoying to note that a patch had been committed to such an important
place carefreely (otherwise the bug would have been found). This is my
first concern: the configuration of a compiler had been changed without
even being tested.

Second concern: since the patch was not tested on this compiler/platform
configuration, is it sure it behaves sanely? Since there was a lot of
changes in this area, shouldn't a specific test file be added in order
to finally ensure the correct detection of wchar_t? I can also directly
exercise some testcases if provided; I can test with ICC 7 and 8 for
Linux.

Finally, my third concern: shouldn't such changes be committed to the
release branch since they directly involve the configuration of an
existing compiler?

Sorry for this long mail, but since release time draws near, I wanted to
point out this problem.

Regards,

Guillaume