From: Carl Daniel (cpdaniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-01 14:19:20

Beman Dawes wrote:
> PS: For the next release, we need to define written "release
> discipline". What kind of changes are allowed at various points, such
> as after branch, after release candidates start, etc.

My $0.02 worth:

After branch, only planned (announced, discussed, etc) new features, bug
fixes and documentation additions.
One week before RC1, only bug fixes and documentation additions.
After RC1 only bug fixes to bugs exposed by existing regression tests.

Draconian? Perhaps. But we need to get the release process into a
manageable form, and having changes checked in with wild abandon during the
release process is not going to lead to a more manageable process.

-cd