From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-02 11:18:57

Beman Dawes wrote:
> At 09:36 AM 2/2/2004, David Abrahams wrote:
>
> > Luckily some of the people running Boost's regression
> >tests run those tests too. It seems wrong to me that they should be
> >left out of the default testing regime, which is run on many more
> >compilers than the authors/maintainers of those libraries can possibly
> >test directly.
>
> Yes.
>
> I think we need a major upgrade to our testing infrastructure. I'd like
> to see a machine (perhaps running both Win XP and Linux using a virtual
> machine manager) constantly running Boost regression tests. The tests
> should be segmented into sets, including an "everything we've got set",
> with some sets running more often than others. As previously discussed,
> one set should be a "quicky test" that runs very often, and that
> developers can temporarily add a test to that they are concerned about.

I'm all for that... One of the reasons I don't run more Boost tests is the
length of time they take.

> I can round-up a donation of a nice modern machine to run the tests on.
> That isn't hard when powerful boxes go for $1,000 or less. But I can't
> host here because I only have a metered ISDN Internet connection. So we
> would need a volunteer for that. Again, we can probably find someone.

And what prevents me from dedicating a machine to running tests is no budget
for such a dedicated machine. I already pay for an unmettered DSL connection.

> The key volunteers needed would be people who are comfortable setting up
> and remote administering such a test setup. More than one would be
> needed so that no one person becomes a bottleneck.
>
> Am I dreaming, or is this something we should actively persue?

All dreams should be pursued, or at least thought about ;-)

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything