From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-03 07:09:57

Misha Bergal <mbergal_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> I think we need a major upgrade to our testing infrastructure. I'd
>> like to see a machine (perhaps running both Win XP and Linux using a
>> virtual machine manager) constantly running Boost regression
>> tests. The tests should be segmented into sets, including an
>> "everything we've got set", with some sets running more often than
>> others. As previously discussed, one set should be a "quicky test"
>> that runs very often, and that developers can temporarily add a test
>> to that they are concerned about.
>
> It seems to me, that a lot of time is taken by Boost.Build
> unnecesserily trying to execute the tests which have been failing
> before, even though files they depend on haven't changed.

It used to work the other way, but it caused confusion.

> If this is fixed, it would make sense to set up continuosly running
> regression tests: clean once a day and the updates for the rest of the
> day.

We could make it optional and use it only for the Bots.

There is also the problem that the type traits tests obfuscate their
include files using macros, so some changes won't cause rebuilds.

There is also a similar issue with libraries that use the PP library.
We can customize Boost.Build to be aware of the special inclusion
macros if neccessary.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting