From: garcia (garcia_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-04 00:15:37

 From the Darwin dept.
I checked out a clean copy of boost using the tag Version_1_31_0 and ran
the regression tests via tools/regression/run_tests.sh shell script. My
compiler is:
gcc (GCC) 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)

And the following pertinent environment variables were set prior to my
test runs:
TOOLS=darwin
PYTHON_ROOT=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3
PYTHON_VERSION=2.3

I compared (via eyeball) the results against the darwin results
available from the boost web page. The existing results appear to be
mostly the same, but I notice that the Boost.Python results are not run
on that machine (see
http://boost.sourceforge.net/regression-logs/cs-Darwin.html). Many
python tests seem to fail on my machine (A G4 laptop running Panther,
minus the most recent Software Update). Specifically, all 'run_pyd'
tests fail. The results are along the lines of the following:

(cut from cs-Darwin-links.html)

running...
Failure in example: from args_ext import *
from line #1 of __main__
Exception raised:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/doctest.py", line 441, in _run_examples_inner
    compileflags, 1) in globs
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: Failure linking new module: ../../../bin/boost/libs/python/build/libboost_python.dylib/darwin/debug/shared-linkable-true/libboost_python.dylib: dyld: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/python2.3 can't open library: ../../../bin/boost/libs/python/build/libboost_python.dylib/darwin/debug/shared-linkable-true/libboost_python.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

Failure in example: raw(3, 4, foo = 'bar', baz = 42)
from line #3 of __main__
Exception raised:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/doctest.py", line 441, in _run_examples_inner
    compileflags, 1) in globs
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
NameError: name 'raw' is not defined
Failure in example: raw(3, 4)
from line #8 of __main__
Exception raised:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/doctest.py", line 441, in _run_examples_inner
    compileflags, 1) in globs
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
NameError: name 'raw' is not defined

etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

To see if I could make some sense of this, I by hand made my way to the
"hello world" example in libs/python/example/tutorial, and built it
using bjam. Then, upon
backtracking and finding the hello.so file (in
bin/boost/libs/python/example/tutorial/hello.so/darwin/debug/shared-linkable-true),
I tried to run python got the following feedback:

>>> import hello
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: Failure linking new module:
../../../bin/boost/libs/python/build/libboost_python.dylib/darwin/debug/shared-linkable-true/libboost_python.dylib:
dyld: python can't open library:
../../../bin/boost/libs/python/build/libboost_python.dylib/darwin/debug/shared-linkable-true/libboost_python.dylib
(No such file or directory, errno = 2)

This seems to make sense, since in this case, the above search path
doesn't have enough "../" repetitions in it. moving hello.so to a
location where the above path is "relatively" valid (ie. three
directories down from the "bin" directory) causes it to work correctly.

Since I'm not very familiar with Boost.Build or Boost Jam, or dynamic
linking on darwin for that matter, I don't know if these errors are due
to some oversight on my part. I'd appreciate any input from others
using a similar configuration.

Cheers,

ron