From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-04 08:09:38

At 02:20 AM 2/4/2004, Rich Sposato wrote:

>>From what I just read about indexed_set, it seems that the best
>benefit to using flex_set instead of indexed_set is that
>flex_set is simpler and smaller.

How much simpler and smaller?

If a programmer familiar with std::set could learn to use flex_set in and
hour, and indexed_set an hour and ten minutes, I wouldn't see the
difference as large enough to warrant two separate libraries.

If that programmer who could learn to use flex_set in an hour would take
four hours to learn indexed_set, the difference starts to look significant.

Probably programmers not familiar with either library would be the best
judges.

Efficiency is also a question, but I don't suppose anyone has run
apples-to-apples timings, and I'm always leery of efficiency arguments not
supported by actual timings.

--Beman