From: Sean Kelly (sean_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-07 15:47:56

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Burc Arpat wrote:

> (3) and, finally, it is much easier to justify the use of boost than any
> other library out there. i can simply say "some of their sub-libraries are
> gonna make it to the next standard" and "they have c++ standards committee
> members on board" and will persuade even the biggest anti-open-source zealot

Consider yourself lucky. My current employer won't have anything to
do with Boost because of the very open licensing scheme. The argument
seems to be that they won't use any product lacking a legally assailable
entity, I assume in case the code is stolen and they are sued for
copyright infringement. I had to fight tooth and nail in order to use
zlib for a project not too long ago, and they mostly agreed because I
couldn't find a gzip capable library that was for sale.

I suspect there are many other companies out there just like mine, who
don't care about what is "standard" so much as about liability. And while
I have major issues with this mindset, I think it's an important one to be
aware of.

Sean