From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-09 20:54:49

Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
>To me, the ability to write an exception to a stream is unimportant,
>since you can just use what(). The ability to write to an exception
>class using operator<< has a certain appeal; I would defintely use if
>it were free. On the other hand, if the stream operations are only
>happening before the exception is thrown, and if you are dealing with
>an exception type that already has the ability to hold some text, you
>can get the same effect by using a stringstream. I'm not sure it's
>worth introducing a new exception class just to save programmers the
>trouble of defining a stringstream. Maybe for use in certaint types of
>testing it would be helpful.

Using a stringstream would be my approach to achieve this affect, but I
wonder what would happen if the stream operation generated an exception?
E.g.

   throw( std::ostringstream() << "Error #" << 404 << weberror( 404 ));

what if weberror thows an exception? Also, is ostringstream guaranteed not
to throw an exception?

Throwing an exception during the exception process is not a good idea!

Regards,
Reece

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger