From: Jonathan Ultis (jonathanu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-10 00:01:10

Good point.

Since you asked, I did some more reading. My bug report should have
included "on 32 bit linux systems". And, it's possible to get stat to
work for large files by using the correct defines. There could be
linking problems if you do, but it's not likely to be a big concern. So,
consider this a robustness patch. This will make exists () work on large
files, even for goobers like me that don't have their compile set up to
support large files.

If you were extremely interested in supporting all configurations, there
are also certain defines that can be set which cause large file support
to be offered through an alternate set of function names, which can be
useful for maintaining binary compatibility with pre-compiled libraries.
Using that define and the alternate names would be a safe way to make
the filesystem library work on 64bit files no matter what defines are
used to compile. But, it's probably not worth the hassle if no one has
complained yet.

The linux gazette article at www.linuxgazette.com/issue67/tag/13.html
was interesting, if you want to follow up on this. But, it basically
said to read info on libc and look for LFS or large file support. Doing
so was also interesting.

--Jonathan