From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-10 00:29:50

At Monday 2004-02-09 10:57, you wrote:
>Victor wrote:

> > >And what if the std library or somebody else throws exceptions
> > >*derived* from the standard types?
> >
> > I guess I should have said _are_ standard types
>
>Or, at least _are_ in the sense of being equivalent under slicing...
>
> > We can either do nothing (until the standard changes so we
> > can handle ALL
> > types) or we can do something (handle the built-in types and
> > the standard exceptions).
> >
> > I suggest "something" as a useful approach.
>
>Whimsical idea: could we use type lists, so we could instantiate a thread
>starter
>template with the list of exceptions it should wrap, and get slicing
>semantics
>into the calling context? All other exceptions would fall through, but then
>the user can enumerate the "most possible" exceptions.

my recollection of writing the handlers we did write was that we had to be
quite careful about the order in which we did the catch phrases. But I
sort of remember Andrei having a way of mutating a type list such that they
were in such an order (wasn't that one of his algorithms in the book?)

I'd love to _learn_ how to do such a thing.