From: Christoph Ludwig (cludwig_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-11 05:46:48

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:54:52AM -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
> "Rani Sharoni" <rani_sharoni_at_[hidden]> writes:
[...]
> > I'm not sure.
> > When source and destinations un-cv types are the same or base/derived direct
> > initialization and copy initialization are the same (per 8.5/14/4/2) and
> > this fact was (viciously) exploited by the old auto_ptr.
>
> Something's missing from that sentence to make it comprehensible.
>
> It has the same grammatical structure as "When my hand is blue or my
> hair is green and I was a fool", which is not a complete sentence.

If you parse above sentence as

  When source and destinations un-cv types are the same or
  [are] base/derived [, then] direct initialization and copy
  initialization are the same (per 8.5/14/4/2) and this fact was
  (viciously) exploited by the old auto_ptr.

then it seems perfectly comprehensible to me. I thought both ellipses
were correct English, but I will leave this assessment to the native
speakers.

Christoph

--
http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/TI/Mitarbeiter/cludwig.html