From: Trey Jackson (tjackson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-12 04:18:05

Dave Abrahams wrote:
>You might look at the policy-based smart_ptr implementation in the
>Boost sandbox. Maybe you could devise an appropriate policy for
>holding your "small pointer".

I grabbed the hourly release from boost-consulting
(boost-04-02-11-2300), but was unable to find any mention of
policy-based pointers in any of

    boost-04-02-11-2300/boost/*_ptr.hpp

the only difference b/w the shared_ptr.hpp provided in that release
and my copy (boost 1_30) was some use of:

    shared_ptr_traits<T>::reference

I guess I could specialize

,----------------
| template<MyClass> struct shared_ptr_traits
| {
| typedef --some-reference-type-- reference;
| };
`----------------

But this wouldn't apply at all to the pointer type,
the member data for shared_ptr is still:

(note 'T *')
,----------------
| T * px; // contained pointer
| detail::shared_count pn; // reference counter

Should I be looking on a branch (not a boost-consulting hourly
release)?

thanks,

TJ

--