From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-12 20:17:49

At 12:04 PM 2/12/2004, Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:
>--- David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> We need to fix the regressions in 1.31.0 right away.
>>
>> Since I don't have time to manage a release, and nobody else has
>> volunteered to do it, I'd like to suggest that we post a 1.31.1
>> "critical update" patch for 1.31.0 on the website. This would save us
>> from having to deal with a site update or making new release archives
>> until someone can really devote the attention a full release deserves.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
>It would look a lot better to the general public if we managed to put
>together a proper update. I volunteer to do the cvs export, make the
>bz2,gz,zip files, upload them to the SourceForge site, and to tag the
>CVS tree. It would be good if someone else could update the main
>index.html before I start.
>
>I could put up all bz2,gz,zip files at our local web site for a few days
>for testing before uploading them to the SourceForge site. Our lab has
very
>fast internet connectivity and I expect that we can easily handle the
load.

While those are worthwhile activities, they can be done pretty quickly even
on a slow Internet connection. I think for 1.31.0 it took two or three
hours using an ISDN line. Matthias Troyer has kindly just provided an
account on a machine with a high speed connection, to speed future
downloads and uploads.

The real effort is getting the regression testers going again on the RC,
reviewing test results, querying developers whose libraries are showing
possible issues, tracking down patches that were submitted but never
committed, reviewing bug reports, closely monitoring list traffic, etc.

I'm flat out trying to catch up on all the work I put off while working on
1.31.0. But I'll try to help with any mechanical aspects of getting a
1.31.1 release together if some else can manage it.

--Beman