From: Gabriel Dos Reis (gdr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-14 12:08:01

"Giovanni Bajo" <giovannibajo_at_[hidden]> writes:

| Gennaro Prota wrote:
|
| > Do you know why? Is he proposing some change in the CWG?
|
| I guess it's just a consequence of the GCC bugreport, and Gaby raising the
| issue with the CWG.

Yes, that is the case. But the issues are slightly different.
A long time ago, the committee decided, after debate, that member names
hide enclosing template-parameters. The fact that names from base
classes can hide template-parameters too comes as a -logical-
consequence from that general rule and the principle that scopes nests.

To achieve what some think "obvious", one needs to introduce either
the notion of "parallel scopes" or inject an enclosing scope into an
enclosed scope after the enclosing scope has been examined. I don't
think they are "obvious" either.

-- Gaby