From: Daniel Schlyder (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-14 20:41:50

David Abrahams:
> "Stephan T. Lavavej" <stl_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> When Boost Filesystem is built with bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc" or bjam
>> "-sTOOLS=mingw" on MinGW, the resulting static library is a .lib consisting
>> of .obj files. However, it is traditional for gcc to use .a files which
>> consist of .o files. I fix this by hand by renaming the .obj files to .o
>> and then executing ar rvs libboost_filesystem.a *.o , but it would be nice
>> if bjam would get it correctly by itself.

> You need to use a cygwin build of bjam if you want cygwin-protocol
> file extensions.

Or he may override them from command line:

bjam -sTOOLS=mingw -sSUFLIB=.a -sSUFDLL=.dll -sSUFOBJ=.o

(Well, at least sSUFLIB and -sSUFDLL seems to work. I haven't tried -sSUFOBJ
yet, as I was only interested in having the built libraries named for easier
inclusion in my projects' makefiles.)

Care to enlighten a newbie as to why you call these file extensions
cygwin-protocol? I can't think of any libraries apart from Boost, whether
compiled using MSYS or plain MinGW, that don't use them. Then again, Boost is
the only one I've compiled using bjam. I thought these extensions where a
general convention for g++ irrespective of build environment.

Kind regards,
Daniel Schlyder

--
http://bitblaze.com/