From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-16 08:56:58

Edward Diener wrote:

[...]

> In my discussions
> on comp.std.c++, particularly with Mr. Plauger, I was more or less
> told that the committee had already made up its mind not to support
> wide character
> file names. He was pretty intolerant to the thought that wide
> character file names should be added with the proviso that their
> meaning should be implementation defined.

You might be interested in the upcoming LWG Issue #454:

basic_filebuf::open should accept wchar_t names [27.8.1.3]
Bill Plauger

    basic_filebuf *basic_filebuf::open(const char *, ios_base::open_mode);

should be supplemented with the overload:

    basic_filebuf *basic_filebuf::open(const wchar_t *,
ios_base::open_mode);

Depending on the operating system, one of these forms is fundamental and
the other requires an implementation-defined mapping to determine the
actual filename.