From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-16 09:31:25

"Victor A. Wagner, Jr." <vawjr_at_[hidden]> writes:

>>Actually, I'm little surprised that this thread has not come (yet) to
>>the issue of supporting old compilers. IMVHO, when it comes to testing,
>>these compilers are real problem.
>
> when it comes to writing/updating the libraries, support of these
> fossils is staggeringly expensive.

I just want to point out that the "fossils" with major conformance
problems are still in extremely wide use in industry, and some are
even the latest official releases (see Borland). One of my most
progressive and forward-thinking clients is still using vc6 for
production work. They're anxious to upgrade to vc7.1, but haven't yet
had the opportunity. I'd love to stop hacking around vc6 and borland
limitations, but we should be sure we understand what we're doing when
that day comes.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting