From: Gabriel Dos Reis (gdr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-16 12:07:32

Gennaro Prota <gennaro_prota_at_[hidden]> writes:

| {- We are still off-topic for boost but at least we don't bother Brian
| and all the people who are interested in the FC++ review -}
|
| On 16 Feb 2004 16:39:23 +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis
| <gdr_at_[hidden]> wrote:
|
| >"Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> writes:
| >
| >| This however runs contrary to the principle that I, as a user, should be
| >| able to explicitly disambiguate; since I can write a qualified name for a
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

| >| class member but not for a template parameter, it naturally follows that
| >| template parameters should hide class members and not vice versa.
| >
| >That does not follow. Your raisoning is based on the assumption that
| >there is an ambiguity, but there is none.
|
| Come on, he didn't mean it's ambiguous.

One "explicitly disambiguates" when there is an ambiguity.

| Just that with one rule the user can choose what the name should
| refer to, with the other one he/she cannot.

I understand the reasoning of letting the user says what the name
should refer to. Which makes me inclined to make the construct
ill-formed: That is not different from the rule that says you cannot
reclare a template-parameter in its scope.

| Genny.
|

| Genny.

-- Gaby