From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-16 15:28:57

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Peter Dimov wrote:
>> Andreas Huber wrote:
>>
>>> I think he meant the object indirectly referenced by
>>> boost::function:
>>>
>>> MyActiveObject pActive = new MyActiveObject();
>>> boost::thread myThread( boost::function< void () >(
>>> boost::bind( &MyActiveObject::Run, pActive ) ) );
>>> delete pActive;
>>
>> Why would anyone want to do that?
>
> What if MyActiveObject has interface methods that need to be
> externally accessible? Message queue endpoints, for example. Though
> other program designs might obviate the need for such access methods.

Yes, that's how I would answer my own question, too. It would be interesting
to see whether high-level components built on top of boost::thread can solve
the interthread communication problem in an elegant way. But if we focus on
the low-level layer, I think that this may be solved with a thread::target()
accessor (similar to the newly added function<>::target()).