From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-18 12:50:25

Douglas Paul Gregor wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Stefan Slapeta wrote:
>
>> Pavol Droba wrote:
>>
>>> It is not really reasonable to await from
>>> a user to always type boost::algorithm::string::trim.
>>>

>> Maybe it could help a little bit to replace 'algorithm' by 'algo' and
>> 'string' by 'str'.
>>
>> IMHO, also shorter namespaces like 'boost::filesystem' have the
>> problem of beeing too long to be used on every access. Long
>> typenames like boost::filesystem::directory_iterator have a very
>> high capability to make the code unreadable very quickly.
>
> What's wrong with
>
> namespace fs = boost::filesystem;
>
> ?

I would turn the question around and ask what's wrong with boost::fs (and
when I see boost I think std). I've never understood the rationale behind
long namespace names. Yes, I can alias filesystem to fs myself. But when all
of your users alias filesystem to fs, and you find yourself doing the same
in documentation, examples, tests, and in your own code, then perhaps it
should have been named fs in the first place.