From: Boost (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-18 14:24:19

If it isn't too much trouble, IMHO we SHOULD encourage people to fix
this.

| > Msvc 7.1 (warnings level 4, no language extensions aka strict)
| > produces some warning 'noise' at: const T operator*() const { return
l.head(); }

(http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/cwg_defects.html#295).
| I think this warning is bogus.

| > However, this is a level 1 warning, so Microsoft obviously believe
it is wrong C++.
| It is, strictly speaking, but there is a DR for it.
| I'm not sure it's worth a code fix. pragma warning disable will do it.

I am sure you are right
 - but meanwhile it is a significant convenience for users to have a fix
of some sort,
if only to document that it isn't a problem, for example:

#ifdef BOOST_MSVC
# pragma warning (disable : 4180)// qualifier applied to function type
has no meaning; ignored
#endif

Without this small fix, almost all use of FC++ will produce plenty of
warning messages,
which will distract from other useful warnings.

Paul

Paul A Bristow
+44 1539 561830 +44 7714 330204
mailto: pbristow_at_[hidden]