From: Stefan Slapeta (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-18 16:56:37

// Edward Diener wrote:
//
// His problem is that if he builds a statically linked library
// and uses the
// Boost threads library, he will be using a shared library and
// all the shared
// RTL libraries also, since that is what the shared Boost
// threads library
// needs to work.
//

No, that was not my point. You CAN'T build anything here using a static rt
library anymore, what means that it's not possible to use the static and
dynamic runtime library TOGETHER, either!

Because of the auto_link feature in Boost 1.31.0, any attempt to include a
boost.thread header results in the error message "Mixing a dll boost library
with a static runtime is a really bad idea...". This is not only the case
for the thread library itself but for every other translation unit, too.

After you disable the auto_link feature, you still have to fight against the
incompatible __declspec(dllimport) directives (intended for the dynamic rt).

// I also have found that mixing static and shared libraries in
// any situation
// quite often leads to problems. In this latter respect, one
// should use all
// shared libraries or all static libraries, instead of mixing in both.
//

>From my experience, I can just second that.

Stefan