From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-19 17:08:47

1) I like the idea
2) I shouldn't do this (read tech emails when my blood sugar is low... my
brain tends to wander and I come up with oddball ideas, to wit:)
         Your solution to the problem is elegant. I've always enjoyed
enhancements that required NO behavior changes on those who didn't want the
enhancement. Then my brain went off in "that" direction and I considered
the implementation of your solution.
         I was reminded of back the "good old days"(lol, they weren't all
that good) and programming in Basic. In very early Basic one could call
subroutines, but there wasn't any argument passing mechanism available so
we'd do things like:
         a3 = 100;
         a4 = 7;
         gosub 999;

         Later, I started working with _real_ languages and discovered the
joys of arguments to functions:
       MYSIN = SIN(X)
         for those of you who have never had the experience, that was
FORTRAN (note the 6 leading spaces in the source. At any rate...then my
mind wandered over "this way" and I thought..Hmmmmm

#define BOOST_TUPLE_MAX_ARITY 25
#include "boost/tuple_basic.hpp"

         It brought back all those bad old days (some were rather grim) of
writing code when we didn't have an argument passing protocol for
functions. It seems that we have exactly the same situation now with
respect to header files.

         OK, there it is. Anyone have any thoughts on "passing arguments
to header files"? This, of course, isn't a formal proposal to add any such
system, but I'd be interested to hear from others on the topic. BTW,
here's a _possible_ syntax to deal with the above.
#include "boost/tuple_basic.hpp<25>"
         Capturing the argument(s) inside the header file isn't being
addressed here.

         ok, the Gatorade got my blood sugar back up... so it's back to
work instead of all this daydreaming.